Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Nations in Arms: the Theory and Practice of Territorial Defence, (Macmillan, 1976, 2nd ed., 1986).
- Humanitarian Action in War: Aid, Protection and Impartiality in a Policy Vacuum, (Oxford University Press, 1996).
- Czechoslovakia, 1968: Reform, Repression, and Resistance, with Philip Windsor, (Columbia University Press, 1969).
- Presiding over a Divided World: Changing UN Roles, 1945-1993, with Benedict Kingsbury, (Lynne Rienner, 1994).
- Selective Security: War and the United Nations Security Council since 1945, with Dominik Zaum, (Routledge, 2008).
- The Strategy of Civilian Defence: Non-violent Resistance to Aggression, (Faber, 1967).
- Civilian Resistance as a National Defence: Non-violent Action against Aggression, (Penguin Books, 1968).
- Documents on the Laws of War, co-edited with Richard Guelff, (Clarendon Press, 1982, 2nd ed., 1989, 3rd ed., 2000).
- United Nations, Divided World: the UN's Roles in International Relations, co-edited with Benedict Kingsbury, (Clarendon Press, 1988, 2nd ed., 1993).
- Hugo Grotius and International Relations, co-edited with Hedley Bull and Benedict Kingsbury, (Clarendon Press, 1990).
- The United Nations Security Council and War: the Evolution of Thought and Practice since 1945, co-edited with Vaughan Lowe, Jennifer Welsh and Dominik Zaum, (Oxford University Press, 2008).