2001年9月11日のアメリカ同時多発テロ事件についてブッシュが国家哀悼日（en:National day of mourning）、「this crusade, this war on terrorism」（この十字軍、この対テロ戦争は―）と述べた 。この言葉は欧州、アラビアから批判された。発言を擁護する層はcrusadeというのは単なる討伐という意味であって宗教上の差別はないとしたが、（例えば第二次大戦時にドワイト・D・アイゼンハワーが欧州に上陸・侵攻する日、D-デイの言明に際してThe Great Crusade（偉大な聖戦）という言葉を使っている ）。中東では不満は残った。
- 2001年5月7日に刊行されたチュニジアでの英語を扱った論文. English in Carthage; or, the "Tenth Crusade" Mongi Bahloul, University of Sfax for the South, Tunisia.
- クリストファー・ハイド（Christopher Hyde）の小説. Tenth Crusade. 1983: Boston, MA. Houghton Mifflin. 270 pages.
- US President George W. Bush, from a press conference upon arrival at the South Lawn of the White House, September 16, 2001.
- "We need to go back to work tomorrow and we will. But we need to be alert to the fact that these evil-doers still exist. We haven't seen this kind of barbarism in a long period of time. No one could have conceivably imagined suicide bombers burrowing into our society and then emerging all in the same day to fly their aircraft — fly U.S. aircraft into buildings full of innocent people — and show no remorse. This is a new kind of — a new kind of evil. And we understand. And the American people are beginning to understand. This crusade, this war on terrorism is going to take a while. And the American people must be patient. I'm going to be patient. But I can assure the American people I am determined, I'm not going to be distracted, I will keep my focus to make sure that not only are these brought to justice, but anybody who's been associated will be brought to justice. Those who harbor terrorists will be brought to justice. It is time for us to win the first war of the 21st century decisively, so that our children and our grandchildren can live peacefully into the 21st century."
- US President George W. Bush, from a rally for the troops in Alaska, February 16, 2002.
- "I want to tell you something, we've got no better friends than Canada. (Applause.) They stand with us in this incredibly important crusade to defend freedom, this campaign to do what is right for our children and our grandchildren."
- Alexander Cockburn, "The Tenth Crusade," Counterpunch, September 7, 2002.
- "Islamic fanatics flew those planes a year ago and here we are with a terrifying alliance of Judaeo-Christian fanatics, conjoined in their dreams of the recovery of the Holy Lands of the West Bank, Judaea and Samaria. War on Terror? It's back to the late thirteenth century, picking up where Prince Edward left off with his ninth crusade after St Louis had died in Tunis with the word Jerusalem on his lips."
- James Pinkerton, "Century In, Century Out - It's Crusade Time," Newsday, December 4, 2003.
- "And now, in 2003, the Americans, the Twelfth Crusaders. The West is no longer 'Christendom,' but we, as first cousins to the Europeans, retain the old faith and bring new kinds of idealism, such as democracy and human rights. But the Crusader spirit is still there; it's still about bringing civilization and salvation of a backward people. As the born-again George W. Bush says, 'This is about good vs. evil.'"
- ^ Today We Mourned, Tomorrow We Work THE WHITE HOUSE
- ^ Document for June 6th:D-day statement to soldiers, sailor, and airmen of the Allied Expeditionary Force, 6/44, アメリカ国立公文書記録管理局
- ^ 辞典でも他には「改革」「聖戦」の意味しかない