- National Interests in International Society, (Cornell University Press, 1996).
- The Purpose of Intervention: Changing Beliefs about the Use of Force, (Cornell University Press, 2003).
- Rules for the World: International Organizations in Global Politics, with Michael Barnett, (Cornell University Press, 2004).
- Who governs the globe?, co-edited with Deborah Avant and Susan K. Sell, Cambridge University Press, 2010.
- Back to basics: state power in a contemporary world, edited by Martha Finnemore and Judith Goldstein, Oxford University Press, 2013.
- "International Organizations as Teachers of Norms: the United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cutural Organization and Science Policy", International Organization, vol. 47, no. 4, 1993.
- "Norms, Culture, and World Politics: Insights from Sociology's Institutionalism", International Organization, vol. 50, no. 2, 1996.
- "International Norm Dynamics and Political Change", International Organization, vol. 52, no. 4, 1998. (with Kathryn Sikkink).
- "The Politics, Power, and Pathologies of International Organizations", International Organization, vol. 53, no. 4, 1999. (with Michale N. Barnett).
- "Taking Stock: the Constructivist Research Program in International Relations and Comparative Politics", Annual Review of Political Science, vol. 4, 2001. (with Kathryn Sikkink).
- "Alternatives to "Legalization": Richer Views of Law and Politics", International Organization, vol. 55, no. 3, 2001.(with Stephen Toope).
- "Fights about Rules: the Role of Efficacy and Power in Changing Multilateralism", Review of International Studies, vol. 31, no. 1, 2005.