- Community conflict, Free Press, 1957.
- The adolescent society: the social life of the teenager and its impact on education, Free Press of Glencoe, 1961.
- Introduction to mathematical sociology, Free Press of Glencoe, 1964.
- Adolescents and the schools, Basic Books, 1965.
- Resources for social change: race in the United States, Wiley-Interscience, 1971.
- Policy research in the social sciences, General Learning Press, 1972.
- The mathematics of collective action, Aldine Pub. Co, 1973.
- Power and the structure of society, Norton, 1974.
- Longitudinal data analysis, Basic Books, 1981.
- The asymmetric society, Syracuse University Press, 1982.
- Individual interests and collective action: selected essays, Cambridge University Press, 1986.
- Equality and achievement in education, Westview Press, 1990.
- Foundations of social theory, Belknap Press of Harvard University Press, 1990.
- Union democracy: the internal politics of the International Typographical Union, with Seymour Martin Lipset and Martin A. Trow, Free Press, 1956.
- Medical innovation: a diffusion study, with Elihu Katz and Herbert Menzel, The Bobbs-Merrill Co., 1966
- Macrosociology: research and theory, with Amitai Etzioni and John Porter, Allyn and Bacon, 1970.
- Information systems and performance measures in schools, with Nancy L. Karweit, Educational Technology Publications, 1972.
- Equality of educational opportunity, Arno Press, 1979.
- High school achievement: public, Catholic, and private schools compared, with Thomas Hoffer and Sally Kilgore, Basic Books, 1982.
- Becoming adult in a changing society, with Torsten Husé, Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development, 1985.
- Public and private high schools: the impact of communities, with Thomas Hoffer, Basic Books, 1987.
- University development in the third world: the Rockefeller Foundation experience, with David Court, Pergamon Press, 1993.
- Redesigning American education, Westview Press, 1997.
- Qualitative and quantitative social research: papers in honor of Paul F. Lazarsfeld, co-edited with Robert K. Merton and Peter H. Rossi, Free Press, 1979.
- Social sciences and public policy in the developing world, co-edited with Laurence D. Stifel and Ralph K. Davidson, Lexington Books, 1982.
- Approaches to social theory, co-edited with Siegwart Lindenberg and Stefan Nowak, Russell Sage Foundation, 1986.
- Social theory for a changing society, co-edited with Pierre Bourdieu, Westview Press, 1991.
- Rational choice theory: advocacy and critique, co-edited with Thomas J. Fararo, Sage Publications, 1992.
- Parents, their children, and schools, co-edited with Barbara Schneider, Westview Press, 1993.