- Government and Politics in Northern Africa, (Praeger, 1963).
- Destiny of a Dynasty: the Search for Institutions in Morocco's Developing Society, (University of South Carolina Press, 1964).
- Morocco: Problems of New Power, (Atherton Press, 1964).
- International Relations in the New Africa, (Prentice-Hall, 1966).
- Czechoslovakia: Intervention and Impact, (New York University Press, 1970).
- The Politics of Trade Negotiations between Africa and the European Economic Community: the Weak Confront the Strong, (Princeton University Press, 1971).
- Ripe for Resolution: Conflict and Intervention in Africa, (Oxford University Press, 1985, updated ed., 1989).
- Elusive Peace: Negotiating an End to Civil Wars, (Brookings Institution, 1995).
- Cowardly Lions: Missed Opportunities to Prevent Deadly Conflict and State Collapse, (Lynne Rienner, 2005).
- Negotiation and Conflict Management: Essays on Theory and Practice, (Routledge, 2008).
- The Practical Negotiator, with Maureen R. Berman, (Yale University Press, 1982).
- A Strategic Vision for Africa: the Kampala Movement, with Francis M. Deng, (Brookings Institution Press, 2002).
- Man, State, and Society in the Contemporary Maghrib, (Pall Mall Press, 1973).
- Elites in the Middle East, (Praeger, 1980).
- The political Economy of Nigeria, (Praeger, 1983).
- The Political Economy of Morocco, (Praeger, 1987).
- Positive Sum: Improving North-South Negotiations, (Transaction Books, 1987).
- Tunisia: the Political Economy of Reform, (Lynne Rienner, 1991).
- Europe and Africa: the New Phase, (Lynne Rienner, 1993).
- International Multilateral Negotiation: Approaches to the Management of Complexity, (Jossey-Bass, 1994).
- Collapsed States: the Disintegration and Restoration of Legitimate Authority, (Lynne Rienner, 1995).
- Traditional Cures for Modern Conflicts: African Conflict "Medicine", (Lynne Rienner, 2000).
- Preventive Negotiation: Avoiding Conflict Escalation, (Rowman & Littlefield, 2001).
- Negotiating with Terrorists, (Martinus Nijhoff Publishers, 2006).
- Imbalance of Power : US Hegemony and International Order, (Lynne Rienner, 2009).
- The OAU after Twenty Years, co-edited with Yassin El-Ayouty, (Praeger, 1984).
- The Political Economy of Ivory Coast, co-edited with Christopher Delgado, (Praeger, 1984).
- International Mediation in Theory and Practice, co-edited with Saadia Touval, (Westview Press, 1985).
- Beyond Coercion: the Durability of the Arab State, co-edited with Adeed Dawisha, (Croom Helm, 1988).
- Polity and Society in Contemporary North Africa, co-edited with William Mark Habeeb, (Westview Press, 1993).
- Negotiating International Regimes: Lessons Learned from the United Nations Conference on Environment and Development (UNCED), co-edited with Bertram I. Spector and Gunnar Sjöstedt, (Graham & Trotman, 1994).
- Cooperative Security: Reducing Third World Wars, co-edited with Victor A. Kremenyuk, (Syracuse University Press, 1995).
- Peacemaking in International Conflict: Methods & Techniques, co-edited with J. Lewis Rasmussen, (United States Institute of Peace Press, 1997, revised ed., 2007).
- International Negotiation: Actors, Structure/process, Values, co-edited with Peter Berton and Hiroshi Kimura, (Macmillan, 1999).
- Power and Negotiation, co-edited with Jeffrey Z. Rubin, (University of Michigan Press, 2000).
- Between the State and Islam, co-edited with Charles E. Butterworth, (Woodrow Wilson Center, 2001).
- Escalation and Negotiation in International Conflicts, co-edited with Guy Olivier Faure, (Cambridge University Press, 2005).
- Rethinking the Economics of War: the Intersection of Need, Creed, and Greed, co-edited with Cynthia J. Arnson, (Woodrow Wilson Center Press, 2005).
- Diplomacy Games: Formal Models and International Negotiations, co-edited with Rudolf Avenhaus, (Springer, 2007).
- The Sage Handbook of Conflict Resolution, co-edited with Jacob Bercovitch and Victor Kremenyuk, (Sage, 2009).