- States and Social Revolutions: A Comparative Analysis of France, Russia, and China, (Cambridge University Press, 1979).
- Protecting Soldiers and Mothers: the Political Origins of Social Policy in the United States, (Harvard University Press, 1992).
- Social Revolutions in the Modern World, (Cambridge University Press, 1994).
- Boomerang: Clinton's Health Security Effort and the Turn against Government in U. S. Politics, (W. W. Norton, 1996).
- Social Policy in the United States: Future Possibilities in Historical Perspective, (Princeton University Press, 1995).
- The Missing Middle: Working Families and the Future of American Social Policy, (W. W. Norton, 2000).
- Diminished Democracy: from Membership to Management in American Civic Life, (University of Oklahoma Press, 2003).
- State and Party in America's New Deal, with Kenneth Finegold, (University of Wisconsin Press, 1995).
- What a Mighty Power We Can Be: African American Fraternal Groups and the Struggle for Racial Equality, with Ariane Liazos and Marsh all Ganz, (Princeton University Press, 2006).
- Health care reform and American politics: what everyone needs to know, with Lawrence R. Jacobs, Oxford University Press, 2010.
- Vision and Method in Historical Sociology, (Cambridge University Press, 1984).
- Democracy, Revolution, and History, (Cornell University Press, 1998).
- Marxist Inquiries: Studies of Labor, Class, and States, co-edited with Michael Burawoy, (University of Chicago Press, 1982).
- Bringing the State Back In, co-edited with Peter B. Evans and Dietrich Rueschemeyer, (Cambridge University Press, 1985).
- The Politics of Social Policy in the United States, co-edited with Margaret Weir and Ann Shola Orloff, (Princeton University Press, 1988).
- American Society and Politics: Institutional, Historical, and Theoretical Perspectives, co-edited with John L. Campbell, (McGraw-Hill, 1995).
- States, Social Knowledge, and the Origins of Modern Social Policies, co-edited with Dietrich Rueschemeyer, (Princeton University Press, 1996).
- The New Majority: Toward a Popular Progressive Politics, co-edited with Stanley B. Greenberg, (Yale University Press, 1997).
- Civic Engagement in American Democracy, co-edited with Morris P. Fiorina, (Brookings Institution Press, 1999).
- Inequality and American Democracy: What We Know and What We Need to Learn , co-edited with Lawrence R. Jacobs, (Russell Sage Foundation Publications, 2005).
- The Transformation of American Politics: Activist Government and the Rise of Conservatism, co-edited with Paul Pierson, (Princeton University Press, 2007).