- The Greek commonwealth: politics and economics in fifth-century Athens, Clarendon Press, 1911.
- The economic weapon in war against Germany, George Allen & Unwin, 1918.
- Nationality & government with other war-time essays, Chatto, 1918.
- Europe in convalescence, Mills & Boon, 1922.
- Education and international goodwill, Oxford University Press, 1924.
- The British commonwealth in the post-war world, Oxford University Press, 1926.
- The third British Empire: being a course of lectures delivered at Columbia University, New York, Oxford University Press, 1926.
- Learning and leadership: a study of the needs and possibilities of international intellectual co-operation, Oxford University Press, 1928.
- Solon & Croesus: and other Greek essays, Oxford University Press, 1928.
- The prospects of democracy and other essays, Chatto & Windus, 1929.
- The study of international relations: an inaugural lecture. delivered before the University of Oxford on 20 February 1931, Clarendon Press, 1931.
- Quo vadimus?: a public lecture delivered on 5 February 1934, Oxford University Press, 1934.
- Spiritual values and world affairs, Clarendon Press, 1939.
- The League of Nations and the rule of law, 1918-1935, Macmillan, 1939.
- Modern political doctrines, edited by Alfred Zimmern, Oxford University Press, 1939.
- From the British Empire to the British Commonwealth, Longmans, 1946.
- The American road to world peace, Dutton, 1953.